A member agency of the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank network, Highland Food Pantry of Winchester, Virginia serves people in the northern Shenandoah Valley experiencing chronic hunger. Our main activity is the distribution of food to individuals and families in need. We are a United Way partner.
Provide food and other assistance to those in need and engage our community in the fight to end hunger.
Highland Food Pantry envisions ending hunger in the northern Shenandoah Valley.
Statement of Values
- We serve our clients faithfully with respect and compassion
- We provide assistance without obligation
- We make our clients feel welcome and safe
- We work collaboratively with other organizations in our community to carry out our mission
- We value our staff, volunteers, and their diverse talents, backgrounds, passion and commitment to the community
- We promote education and programs that lead toward sustainable food resources
Carolyn Thalman, Chair
Charly Franks, Vice Chair
Carolyn Athey, Secretary
Jim Riley, Treasurer
Why We Do It
- To continue the panty's years service to our community since 1984.
- The need of the community: in 2017 Highland Food Pantry served over 6,925 families (21,945 individuals).
- Our Special Delivery Project, which provides food for homebound seniors monthly, started in June 2015 through a grant received from the United Way. In 2018 the project packaged and delivered 1,912 bags to approximately 175 food insecure seniors.
- Malnutrition can cause cognitive impairments in children, lasting a lifetime.
- Faced with a choice of paying for housing, utilities and medical care, food is often the first eliminated expense.
- In the past 3 decades, the poverty rate among working families has increased by 50%.
- In 2018, we processed 263,795 pounds of food from the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank and over 75 tons were received through donations from individuals and by community groups such as schools, churches, and businesses.
- Our Partner-Pick-Up program has more than doubled in the last two years. Currently we are picking up food from four local grocers twelve times a week and have received 122,636 pounds of food.
- We are one of 2 pantries that have evening hours to serve people who are unable to come during the morning hours.
- We are staffed by 75 regular volunteers, in addition to various groups from our community such as schools, churches, businesses, etc. Last year, approximately 10,000 hours were donated by Highland Food Pantry volunteers to work towards accomplishing our mission.
- We are funded by donations of food and money from churches, businesses, individuals, local farmers and Blue Ridge Area Food Bank.
History of Highland Food Pantry
The pantry began as a community outreach project of Highland Memorial Presbyterian Church in the late 1980’s to serve the Food Insecure families in the area surrounding the church. As the need in the community grew, the church continued to support their neighbors and others in need who came from across Winchester and Frederick County and even beyond. The church invited other faith based and community organizations to join them in serving those in need.
In 2012, it became apparent that the need had outgrown the church’s capacity to meet that need. A task force of volunteers was formed to study the possibilities. In 2013, Highland Food Pantry incorporated as a separate entity and became a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization. Being a legal non-profit made the pantry eligible for funding that was not available to the church. Highland Memorial Presbyterian Church remains one of the pantry’s strongest supporters. They provide the space in the church basement, provide custodial support, volunteers and on-going financial support.
The Pantry is open on Tuesday mornings from 9:00 to 11:30 for food and limited emergency financial assistance. In 2014, the Pantry expanded its hours to include evening hours from 6:00 to 7:30 to accommodate clients who have full time day time jobs.
(corner of Highland Ave & Kern St)
446 Highland Avenue
Winchester, VA 22602
9:00 AM - 11:30 AM & 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM